To strengthen transparency, accountability, and efficiency in the implementation of the Basic Healthcare Provision Fund (BHCPF) 2.0 across states and local government areas, the Federal Government has begun onboarding State Oversight Committees nationwide.
The exercise which has held in Abuja and a few other zones birthed in Lagos the South West Zone, on Wednesday, November, 5th, 2025.
Dr. Oritseweyimi Ogbe, Secretary of the Ministerial Oversight Committee at the Federal Ministry of Health, speaking at the South-West Zonal meeting in Lagos said the exercise is part of renewed efforts to improve fund utilisation and ensure that every naira spent on healthcare translates into measurable health outcomes.
He highlighted that the reform follows a directive by the Coordinating Minister of Health and Social Welfare, Professor Ali Pate, for a more transparent and accountable management of public health funds under the BHCPF.
According to him, the Federal Ministry of Health has signed an agreement with the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) to enhance oversight and prevent misuse of funds, stressing that the days of opaque disbursements were over.
“The Honourable Coordinating Minister has emphasized that the BHCPF must be driven by transparency, visibility, and accountability. Every naira spent must yield measurable results in health outcomes,” Ogbe said.
He further explained that the revised BHCPF Guideline 2.0 introduces stricter monitoring mechanisms, including the deployment of performance and financial management officers to all local government areas, the use of digital tracking platforms for disbursements, and the involvement of civil society organisations in fund monitoring.
Ogbe explained that the BHCPF — established under the National Health Act 2014 — is financed by not less than one percent of the Consolidated Revenue Fund to improve access to basic healthcare for all Nigerians. The fund operates through four gateways: the National Primary Health Care Development Agency, NPHCDA, which receives 45 percent; State Health Insurance Agencies under the National Health Insurance Authority, NHIA, which take 48.25 percent; the Emergency Medical Treatment gateway; and the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control, NCDC, gateway, which gets 1.25 percent.
He noted that over 8,309 Primary Health Care Centres, PHCs, currently benefit from the BHCPF, with plans to scale up to 17,600 by 2027 under the Presidential Commitment for Health. He also revealed that details of disbursements are now regularly published in national newspapers and on ministry websites to improve public access to information.
Ogbe encouraged citizens to hold their local and state governments accountable for the use of BHCPF funds while also recognizing success stories to motivate compliance.
Ogbe confirmed that similar onboarding meetings had already been held in the three northern zones, with the remaining southern sessions scheduled for completion this week ahead of the Joint Annual Health Sector Review in Abuja.
“The BHCPF is the foundation for delivering affordable, quality healthcare to Nigerians. With BHCPF 2.0, we are determined to ensure that the system works better, the money is traceable, and the people truly benefit,” Ogbe said.
Also speaking, the Lagos State Commissioner for Health, Professor Akin Abayomi, described the BHCPF Guideline 2.0 as a transformative framework designed to strengthen governance, improve efficiency, and ensure faster delivery of healthcare services across Nigeria.
“What is new about the 2.0 is really the governance structure. The Federal Coordinating Minister is simplifying bureaucratic processes so that approvals, requests, and annual operating plans can move faster,” Abayomi said.









