The Federal Government has said the suspension of the Abuja-Kaduna train service following the terrorist attack on the facility on March 28, 2022, will be lifted this month and the train services will resume.
The Minister of Transportation, Muazu Jaji Sambo stated this on Monday at the ministerial press briefing on the performance of the ministry since 2015.
The Minister didn’t specifically say the exact date by our findings show that the resumption might be at the end of the month.
The minister had earlier announced that the train service will only resume after adequate security measures have been put in place.
He however assured that adequate security has been put in place to ensure the safety of passengers.
He said the ministry has learned enough lessons from the attack in March which claimed the lives of several passengers leading to the suspension of train service on the Abuja-Kaduna route.
The minister said,
“The Abuja Kaduna mishap was indeed a very sad one. And by the grace of God, we shall not witness anything like that again. Not only because we have committed that to prayer but we have also deliberately taken steps. Like you said, yes, indeed, lessons have been learned. And these lessons will be put into place. What are the lessons, safety, and security surveillance, constant monitoring 24/7 and 7 days a week, 12 months a year, all around the clock
‘ he said adding that the minister should be able to sit in his office and look at the rail corridor and see what is happening there.
“The president should be able to do that. The Director-General of the State Security Service (SSS) should be able to do that and so on and all other security agencies. These are the measures we have put in place. Nobody will again shave our heads behind our backs. This month of November, we shall resume that service. Remember, I told you for those of you who are reporters from the State House that we will not resume this service until every Nigerian held in captivity was reunited with their families” he noted.