By Chris Agabi
The Benue State Governor Rev. Fr. Hyacinth Alia has warned his commissioners to shun ineptitude as their performance in office will be monitored.
He gave the charge during the inauguration of the commissioners and special advisers.
Below is his full speech and the list of all the commissioners plus their portfolios.
ADDRESSS BY THE EXECUTIVE GOVERNOR OF BENUE STATE, HIS EXCELLENCY, REV. FR. DR. HYACINTH IORMEM ALIA, AT THE SWEARING-IN CEREMONY OF NEWLY CONFIRMED COMMISSIONERS IN BENUE STATE ON TUESDAY 29TH AUGUST, 2023
I stand before you today with great pride and pleasure as we gather to witness the swearing-in ceremony of the newly confirmed commissioners in Benue State. This auspicious occasion marks a crucial milestone in the governance of our dear state, as these individuals commit themselves to serve the people of Benue with utmost dedication, trust, and loyalty.
2. I thank the Benue State House of Assembly for their unwavering support for cutting short their break to expeditiously screen and confirm the commissioner nominees to ensure the continued smooth administrative governance of our dear state.
3. To the honorable commissioners who are taking the oath of office today, I congratulate you on your confirmation. Your appointment as commissioners is a testament to your exceptional skills, proven capabilities, and unwavering commitment to the service of Benue State. You have been entrusted with a great responsibility, and it is now your duty to reassure the people of Benue that their faith in you is not misplaced.
4. Let us all remember that this appointment is not merely a title or a position of power. It is a sacred contract, forged between each one of you and the citizens of this state. The people of Benue have placed their trust in you, placing the welfare of their communities, their aspirations, and their hopes in your hands. It is imperative that you honor this trust, for it forms the foundation upon which our great state stands.
5. As commissioners, you have been granted the authority and the means to create positive change, to champion progress, and to uplift the lives of the people you serve. However, with such powers comes great responsibility, as it is your duty to ensure that the interests of the people are at the heart of every decision you make. You must listen to their grievances, understand their needs, and work tirelessly towards meeting their expectations.
6. In few weeks from now, key performance indicators (KPI) will be developed to measure each and every one of you in the discharge and performance of your duties. You will be periodically monitored and assessed to determine your suitability to continue to serve the Benue People in which we are all labourers.
7. The challenges that lie ahead are significant, and the road to progress may not always be smooth. But I implore each one of you to face these obstacles with courage, determination, and resilience. Let your resolve ignite a passion within you that will fuel your efforts to make lasting and meaningful impacts on the lives of the people of Benue.
8. I encourage you, esteemed commissioners, to utilize this opportunity to quickly acquaint yourselves with the various ministries under your purview. Taking briefs and familiarizing yourselves with the tasks at hand will not only enhance your understanding but will also enable you to hit the ground running. You owe it to the people to channel your energy and dedication towards effecting positive change.
9. Lastly, I urge you to remember that the people of Benue place great hope in your abilities. The decisions you make today will shape the future of our state, and the impact of your efforts will be felt for generations to come. Let us all commit ourselves to unity, collaboration, and unwavering dedication. Together, we can build a stronger, more prosperous and inclusive Benue State.
10. Congratulations once again. May your journey as commissioners be filled with purpose, inspiration, and the unwavering support of the people.
Thank you all, and may God bless Benue State.
MEET YOUR BENUE STATE COMMISSIONERS:
1. Hon Mrs Joyce Ahunde Luga – Gboko
Commissioner for Cooperative, Urban and Rural Development
2. Hon. Barr. Omale Omale – Apa
Commissioner for Power and Transportation
3. Hon. Dr. Yanmar M. Ortese – Guma
Commissioner for Health and Human Services
4. Rev. Dr. Frederick Ikyaan – Gwer-West
Commissioner For Education
5. Hon. Ugwu Odoh – Ogbadibo
Commissioner For Water Resources, Environment and Climate Change.
6. Hon. Kwaghba Amande – Katsina-Ala
Commissioner for ICT and Digital Economy
7. Matthew Aboh – Ukum
Commissioner for Information, Culture and Tourism.
8. Hon. Tiza Imojime – Buruku
Commissioner for Work and Housing
9. Hon. Aondowase Kunde – Konshisha
Commissioner For Humanitarian and Disaster Management.
10. Hon. Prof. Jonah Ogbaji – Oju
Commissioner for Agriculture
11. Barr. Martin Shaager – Ushongo
Commissioner of Land and Survey
12. Hon. Michael Oglegba – Otukpo
Commissioner of Finance
13. Hon. Ann Itodo – Okpokwu
Commissioner for Women Affairs
14. Hon. Barr. Fidelis Mnyim – Makurdi
Commissioner For Justice and Attorney General of State.
15. Rt. Hon. Terkimbi Ikyange – Ushongo
Commissioner of Youths and Sports
16. Rt. Hon. Nick Oworo – Obi
Commissioner for Science, Technology and Energy.
17. Hon. Alumo Orpin – Tarka
Commissioner for Commerce and Industry