SPEECH DELIVERED BY THE HON. MINISTER OF AVIATION AND AEROSPACE DEVELOPMENT, AT THE ONE- DAY STAKEHOLDERS MEETING HELD ON THE 4TH OF NOVEMBER, 2023 AT BON HOTEL, IKEJA RESIDENCE, SOBO AROBIODU STREET, IKEJA GRA, LAGOS
It gives me great pleasure to hold a meeting of this kind with stakeholders in the Aviation Industry. As you are aware, the Aviation industry is dynamic in nature and very strategic to the development of our great Nation.
2. You will recall that following my appointment by Mr. President, President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, I had gone on inspection of the Nigeria Airports i.e Lagos and Abuja. I set up a task-force for the relocation of foreign airlines from the old international terminal to the new terminal following the state of disrepair of the old terminal which does not speak well about Nigeria as a people. The task force has since submitted their report. We are looking at their recommendations for possible action. We will overhaul this terminal to further boost the revenue drive of our airports.
3. I equally, formally received the land for the construction of the 2nd runway of the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja from the Jiwa Community. This is a historic event and dream come through, which Nigerians have looked up to for the past two decades. You can be rest assured that the benefits of the second runway will provide substantial economic advantage to the Nation.
4. I have also received briefs from some of the Agencies under the Ministry and the Unions in the Aviation Industry. I have taken note of the concerns raised. After this engagement we shall have a management retreat where we will further distil your inputs as stakeholders to move the Aviation Industry forward.
5. As you are aware, Mr. President has unveiled his economic plan. The three-year economic revival plan that emerged from his inaugural Federal Executive Council meeting is anchored in an Eight-Point focus areas targeted at addressing Nigeria’s socioeconomic challenges. It seeks to move away from the frenzied borrowing of the last government, check the unacceptably high jobless rate, achieve economic growth, prosperity for all, and end poverty. This, we as an industry, will factor into our own focus areas for the development of the industry and in turn the economic development of our Nation.
6. The purpose of this stakeholders meeting therefore, is to receive inputs from you as technocrats and players in the industry. Your input will add value to the road map/focus area that the Industry will prioritize to make our Aviation Sector world class and meet the aspirations of Nigerians and all Aviation Stakeholders. We should desist from game blame and focus on solving the problems in the industry.