By ZAKAA LAZARUS
Troops of Joint Task Force North West, Operation FANSAN YAMMA, have foiled an attempted mass abduction by terrorists in Unguwar Rogo Village, Kaura Namoda Local Government Area of Zamfara State, rescuing nine civilians including an infant.
This was contained in a statement by the Media Information Officer, Joint Task Force North West, Lieutenant Colonel Aliyu Danja, on Sunday, August 17, 2026.
According to the statement, the incident occurred on Saturday, August 16, 2026, when troops received a distress call that terrorists, believed to be led by suspected kingpin Mallam Shuaibu, had infiltrated the community and attacked civilians travelling along a local route.
Preliminary intelligence indicates that the attack may have been carried out in reprisal for the recent arrest of suspected collaborators linked to the terrorist network. The suspects had earlier been intercepted by troops while attempting to procure motorcycles and Premium Motor Spirit, PMS, in support of the terrorists’ activities.
The statement said the terrorists concealed themselves within a millet farm along the route and opened fire on passing vehicles, causing some drivers to lose control and veer off the road.
Responding swiftly, troops of Sector 2 moved to the area and engaged the terrorists, denying them the opportunity to carry out the abduction. Faced with the troops’ superior response, the terrorists abandoned their mission and fled into the surrounding forest.
Following the engagement, troops rescued nine civilians, including an infant. Two women who sustained gunshot wounds during the attack were promptly evacuated for medical attention and are currently receiving treatment.
Operation FANSAN YAMMA reiterated its resolve to deny terrorists and other criminal elements the freedom to attack innocent citizens.
The Joint Task Force said it will continue to sustain pressure on terrorist networks and take all necessary measures to protect lives and restore lasting peace and security across the North West region.









